Summer is fast approaching…. But if you’d rather be sporting a maillot than a muumuu, it’s time to get serious about choosing foods that will do your body good. So, what are the ultimate edibles for helping you shed a few pounds and trim inches off of your waistline? Here are 5 belly-flattening foods to add to your grocery list now.
1. Chia Seeds. They’re rich in Omega-3s, which help regulate stress hormones. When stress hormones such as cortisol are elevated, your body stores more belly fat. A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids can help counteract this by keeping less of these hormones circulating in your blood.
2. Spinach. This leafy green is an excellent source of vitamin C, which studies have shown also helps regulate the stress hormone cortisol.
3. Low-Fat Milk. Thanks to the added calcium boost, studies show diets rich in dairy are effective in reducing body fat. Calcium helps regulate how fat is stored and broken down by the body. Milk also contains arginine, an amino acid that has been shown to promote fat loss and increase muscle mass.
Related: Easy Workout Steps for a Beach Body
4. Blueberries. They’ve got powerful anti-inflammatory properties that may zap belly fat. One study found that when rats were consistently fed a diet containing blueberries, after three months, they showed a significant reduction in abdominal fat.
5. Grapefruit. This sour fruit contains phytochemicals and flavonoids that help reduce insulin levels making it easier to mobilize stored body fat. Grapefruit also contains a natural diuretic, which means less bloat when you’re sporting your bathing suit.
While these foods are great for warm weather weight control, your goal should be to incorporate them into your diet all year round.