Dump out that nasty powder pre-workout! Here are 7 foods that will leave you feeling like the Energizer Bunny before a workout.
1. Chug the chocolate. In one study, fueling with chocolate milk over a sports drink mid-exercise improved endurance.
2. Be Sweeter Than Honey. Thanks to its combination of fructose and glucose, honey may provide a superior energy source for endurance activities.
3. Get Fruity. Carbs equal energy, so blend a variety of your favorite fruits with ice 30 minutes before hitting the gym.
4. Monkey Around. Bananas are packed full of digestible carbohydrates for fuel and are rich in potassium, which helps prevent muscle cramps.
5. Go Coco Loco. Naturally rich in electrolytes, coconut water may boost hydration as effectively as sports drinks, without added sugars and artificial ingredients.
6. Ramp up the Raisins. Quick and portable, raisins provide 22 grams of energy boosting carbohydrates per ounce.
7. It’s not Just for Grandma! The fiber in oatmeal helps slow the digestion of carbohydrates for a steady energy stream, while the B vitamins help convert food into energy.
Now go pump some iron!