Today is National Donut Day! What better way to celebrate than to learn these fun informational facts about your favorite treats.
1. More than 10 billion donuts are made each year in the U.S.
2. Donut Day started in 1938, to honor those in the Salvation Army who served the tasty treats to soldiers in World War I.
3. The Dutch are credited with bringing donuts to the U.S. in the 1800s.
4. They were first called “olykoeks”, or oily cakes.
5. In France, small deep fried fritters or donuts are called “pets de nonnes” or “nuns’ farts”.
6. Favorite flavor on list after list: Glazed.
7. 13 people in the U.S. are named Donut (as a first name).
8. Boston has the most donut shops per person – one for every 2,480 people.
9. The spelling “Donut” (traditional spelling: Doughnut) was popularized by Dunkin’ Donuts.
10. “Time to make the donuts!” This line was made famous by Actor Michael Vale. He played Dunkin Donuts’ Fred the Baker for 15 years.
11. Krispy Kreme doughnuts are kosher.
12. Clark Gable is said to have made doughnuts fashionable in the film “It Happened One Night”.
Happy Donut Day!