Vitamin D. It’s crucial for your bone, cognitive, and immune system health. Here are some ways you can naturally boost your vitamin D intake through your diet and lifestyle!
1. Eat more fish! Unlike milk and orange juice, which are fortified with vitamin D during processing, fatty fishes like tuna, mackerel, and salmon naturally contain high levels of vitamin D.
2. Add mushrooms to that salad! Studies have also shown that certain types of mushrooms available in stores are a good source of natural vitamin D. Chanterelles and morels have been shown to contain the highest levels of vitamin D.
3. Try an omelet! Eggs are another great dietary source of natural vitamin D. Keep in mind, it’s the yolk of the egg that is the vitamin D powerhouse, so eat the whole egg, not just the whites.
4. Pass the cheese, please! Some cheeses are fortified with vitamin D, but cheese also naturally contains vitamin D.
5. Drink Plenty of Water! It’s actually not the H2O that ups your vitamin D… Water protects your kidneys, which produce an active form of vitamin D that promotes strong, healthy bones.
6. And go for a run! Research suggests that going for a jog or playing a high-intensity sport like soccer for three or more hours a week will boost the level of vitamin D in your body.
Vitamin D deficiency is a commonly undiagnosed problem that can lead to health issues ranging from diabetes to complications during pregnancy. But it can be prevented easily and naturally by incorporating some of these tips into your lifestyle.