This Ingredient Will Make You Rethink Butter Popcorn

What the !%@^ are you eating?!?

Diacetyl

What is it?

A chemical use as a food additive for butter-flavor. It is in cheese, milk, cookies, candy, some microwave popcorn and more.

What’s the problem?

Factory workers who’ve inhaled this chemical have been diagnosed with serious lung problems. Consumers have reported blocked airways after breathing in fumes from microwave popcorn. And research has linked the chemical to alzheimer’s disease.

Where is it banned?

California has banned manufacturers from using this diacetyl, unless a waiver is granted. The European union has banned it from e-cigarettes.

What to look out for?

Chronic exposure to this chemical may cause: dry cough, wheezing and shortness of breath.

What to do?

If you experience these symptoms, visit a doctor. Read labels and avoid products with diacetyl.

Related: MSG: The Silent Danger In Your Kitchen?

Comments

Recommended Videos