Coconut oil is a healthy, multifunctional superfood that can be used in many ways — from weight loss to avoiding frizzy hair. Here are some reasons to start stocking up now!
1. Your Heart will thank you! Research indicates that a moderate amount of the fat in coconut oil is great for boosting your HDL or “good” cholesterol levels. This, in turn, helps prevent the build up of bad cholesterol (LDL) on your blood vessel walls….and lowers your risk of heart disease.
2. Watch the numbers go down on your scale! A few small studies found that eating foods rich in medium-chain fatty acids, like the kind in coconut oil, may enhance weight loss and reduce waist size more than eating foods containing long-chain fatty acids, present in other dietary oils, like olive oil.
3. Pump up your muscles! The fatty acids contained in coconut oil are rapidly absorbed by the body, making energy available to fuel exercise and a fast recovery.
4. Support healthy skin! The fatty acids in coconut oil act as a skin cleanser by inhibiting the growth of common funguses and bacteria. Coconut oil also improves skin hydration when used as a moisturizer.
5. Say cheese! The lauric acid in coconut oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects, which can reduce the formation of plaque when swished around in your mouth.
6. Love those luscious locks! The unique group of fatty acids in coconut oil reduces protein loss in damaged and undamaged hair when added to your pre- or post-wash haircare routine.