Even if we do our best to avoid them, toxins are part of life wherever we go. But there are some easy things we can do to help flush them out of our bodies. Here are some daily detox tips!
1. Exercise regularly! Regular aerobic exercise increases circulation to the lymphatic system, our body’s drainage machine. It’s responsible for cleaning bacteria and abnormal cells out of our tissue and organs.
2. Stay hydrated! Water is essential to proper kidney function. Everyday our kidneys filter about 150 quarts of blood, getting rid of 2 quarts of waste in the form of urine.
3. Add a splash of OJ! Vitamin C acts as a powerful antioxidant that helps shield cells from damage caused by free radicals. Juices like orange juice and lemon juice also contain citrate, an acid that naturally drives away toxins.
Related article: 4 Slimming Foods That’ll Get You Superstar Abs
4. Grab a handful of almonds! Almonds are chock full of nutrients that are good for the liver, which filters blood and detoxifies chemicals. When we overindulge in food or alcohol, dangerous fatty deposits build up in the liver, increasing the risk of cancer. Vitamin E, which is abundant in almonds, helps clean out the fat.
5. Sip on some green tea! Green tea is packed with antioxidants. Studies show that this popular drink helps fight disease-causing inflammation, lowers oxidative stress – an indicator of free radical overload and may boost the production of enzymes that fight cancer-causing toxins.
6. Eat plenty of fiber! Fiber-rich foods protect your colon, which eliminates and neutralize toxins. Dark leafy greens, whole grains, raspberries and sunflower seeds are all delicious sources.
7. Break a sweat! When we sweat, toxic metals stored in our glands are released through the pores in our skin. Another benefit of exercise… it reduces stress, which can also be poisonous to our health!
Related article: Is Air Pollution Ruining Your Skin?