What exactly is this new buzzword all about?
What does it mean?
The USDA tells us there’s no official marketing definition, but grocery guru Phil Lempert says: “It’s a product or company from farm to table is doing everything they can to protect the assets of our planet.”
The main concepts:
1. People – Do we have enough healthy, locally-grown food?
2. Planet – Is the soil/environment being protected?
3. Prosperity – Are farmers making enough money to support families/workers?
“What we’re doing is exciting, and people love it, but it doesn’t mean it’s easy.” Says Josh, store manager/ sells sustainable products.
1. Locally-grown means items are seasonal.
2. Environmentally-friendly products can be more expensive.
To know if a product is sustainable there are ratings systems, but do your research!