- 4 cups fish stock or water
- 2 inches kombu, soaked and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 3 to 4 tablespoons shoyu
- 2 tbsp. mirin, rice cooking wine
- 3 to 4 shitake mushroom, stems removed and sliced thin
- 1 carrot, matchsticks
- 8 ounces black cod, diced into 1 to 2 ounce pieces
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Sea salt
- Peanut oil (or other oil)
- ½ pakage (8-ounce) soba noodles, cooked
- 2 scallions, minced
- Bring stock, kombu, ginger, shoyu and mirin to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shitake mushrooms and carrots.
- Season the flour with salt and coat the cod.
- Heat peanut oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Add cod and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Place a portion of cooked soba noodles into the bottom of a soup bowl and cover with vegetables and broth.
- Top with crispy cod. Garnish with scallions.
Andrea Beaman is a Natural Foods Chef, author, and television host dedicated to alternative healing and green, sustainable living. She was a featured contestant on Bravo’s hit reality TV show, TOP CHEF (season 1), is a food and health expert on CBSNews, and has appeared onBarbara Walters, The View, Emeril Live and Whole Living on Martha Stewart Radio.
Andrea hosts the Award Nominated Fed UP! A cooking show that educates guests and viewers how to cook for, and cure, bodily ailments. Successfully healing her own “incurable” thyroid disease with health-promoting foods, exercise and other natural therapies was the catalyst that transformed Andrea’s life, health and profession, and she is passionate about sharing this information with others.
She is the author of The Whole Truth – How I Naturally Reclaimed My Health, and You Can Too! and The Eating and Recipe Guide – Better Food, Better Health, and Health is Wealth – Make a Delicious Investment in You!