Bang Bang Shrimp is a crowd-pleaser, there’s no doubt about that. But it’s never a pleasure to feel yucky after devouring it. I found a way to make it light, easy and with all the BANG that you could want.
Ready in: 15 minutes
8 oz. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon coconut or canola oil
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon agave or honey
1 teaspoon lime zest
the juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or scallions
1. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Place the cornmeal and paprika in a bowl, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir until well-combined.
3. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pot or pan over medium-high heat. While the oil comes to temperature, toss the shrimp in the cornmeal until they are evenly coated.
4. Add the shrimp to the pot or pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Add the bell pepper and red pepper flakes, and sauté together for 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from heat, then add the agave, lime zest and lime juice. Transfer the shrimp to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro or scallions (or both).
For Spicy Mayo:
2 tablespoons plain, fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice
Mix all ingredients — plus a pinch of salt and pepper — in a bowl until smooth.
291.6 Calories per serving (calculated on Spark Recipes)
Luisana Suegart shares her fast, fresh and accessible recipes – all with an elegant twist. Luisana is the first to admit she isn’t a formally trained chef. Fed up with feeling sluggish from eating the wrong foods and not making time to exercise, she made the decision to pursue a healthier lifestyle, and ultimately discovered her passion for cooking along the way. She was ecstatic to learn that healthy never has to be boring. Wanting to spread the love beyond her kitchen, Luisana developed a cooking blog, The Fit Cook, where she shares recipes from fancy 10-minute dinners to quick-fix lunches.