Think rinsing your hair in cold water makes it shinier? Will getting frequent trims make your hair grow faster? Here are 5 hair care myths and the truths behind them.
1. Using the same brand of shampoo all the time is bad for your hair
FALSE! There is no evidence that repeat use of one brand is bad. What’s important is to use a shampoo that matches your hair type.
2. Split ends can be repaired
FALSE! Products claiming to do so only make them look better. If you want to say sayonara to those split ends, you’ve got to cut them off.
3. If you pick out one gray hair, two or three will sprout in its place
FALSE! Pulling out hair can only irritate the scalp and hair follicles.
4. Brushing your hair one hundred strokes a day will make it shinier
FALSE! Brushing should be kept to a minimum since it can cause breakage.
5. Getting frequent trims will make your hair grow faster
FALSE! Regular trims are great for keeping hair healthy, but they won’t make it grow any faster. Hair grows about half an inch per month, whether you cut it or not.
Related: Why Is Your Hair Falling Out?