When it comes to losing weight, there are many tips out there that claim to be a sure thing, but might leave you feeling frustrated. Here are some weight loss tips that are science based.
1. Drink more water. Drinking water, especially before meals, can increase energy expenditure and promote weight loss. In one study, participants who drank about 16 ounces of water thirty minutes before eating lost an average of almost 3 pounds more than participants who did not drink water before eating.
2. Grab some JAVA! Research indicates that the caffeine in coffee can boost metabolism, increase your body’s ability to burn fat, and digest food. You get extra points for drinking black coffee while on a weight management diet, because it cuts out the sugar and the fat of additives like creamer!
3. Sip some Green Tea! Green tea contains antioxidants called catechins, which are believed to work in collaboration with caffeine to enhance the burning of fat when consumed on a regular basis. Bonus! — Green tea also helps maintain your energy level as you wave goodbye to those extra pounds!
4. Add spice to your diet! Eating food that contains capsaicin, the compound that makes hot peppers spicy, increases your body’s calorie-burning powers. Capsaicin also promotes fat oxidation, the mechanism that allows your body to use fat as fuel.
5. Cut out refined carbs. Refined Carbohydrates, like those in sugar, potato chips, and white bread, have been stripped of most nutrients and fiber and are basically “empty calories.” Lack of fiber leads to carbs being digested by the body too quickly, causing spikes in blood sugar and food cravings, and making weight gain more likely.
Before you get caught up in a gimmicky weight loss trend, you may want to become a bit of a science geek!. Your diet may thank you!