Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 10 min Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (or 4 egg whites)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup crushed almonds
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 slices 100% whole-wheat bread
- 1 large banana, sliced
- Place the liquid egg substitute (or egg whites) in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon and whisk together. On a plate, spread out the crushed almonds.
- Spray a small sauté pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Dip one slice of bread into the egg mixture until fully coated. Remove the bread from the egg mixture and dip it into the crushed almonds, flipping to evenly coat both sides.
- Place the bread in the prepared sauté pan and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until the egg mixture firms and no liquid is present.
- Remove the toast from the pan and place it on a clean plate. Repeat with the second slice of bread.
- Top each piece of toast with sliced banana and then sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon. Serve warm.
Per serving: 1 starch, 1 oz protein, 1 fruit, and 1 fat serving
Excerpt from Belly Fat Diet For Dummies, Wiley, (c) 2012
Erin Palinski-Wade, RD, CDE, LDN, CPT, “America’s Belly Fat Fighter!” is a nationally recognized nutrition and fitness expert and author of the newly released “Belly Fat Diet for Dummies” well as the “Healthy ‘n Fit Pediatric Weight Management Program” and the “Healthy Resolutions Weight Management Program.” She has contributed her expertise to national media outlets such as the CBS Early Show, The Doctors, ABC News, CBS News, News 12, Fox News, Fitness Magazine, Consumer Reports, Chicago Tribune, and Prevention Magazine. She runs a private practice in NJ and frequently serves as a media spokesperson, nutrition consultant, and speaker.