Excerpt from Belly Fat Diet For Dummies, Wiley, (c) 2012
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 10 min Yield: 1 serving
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chili peppers, canned or fresh
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites(or 2 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Spray a large sauté pan with nonstick cooking spray and sauté the onions and chili peppers. Remove from the pan and keep warm. (If you prefer crunchy vegetables, leave the onions and peppers uncooked.)
- Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray again and place over medium heat.
- Whisk together the whole egg and the liquid egg substitute (or egg whites). Add the egg mixture to the prepared sauté pan.
- Allow the eggs to slightly firm, and then top with onions, peppers, and grated cheese.
- Gently fold over the egg to create an omelet. Flip once to allow for even cooking. Serve warm.
Per serving: 1 vegetable, 3 oz proteins, 1 fat
Erin Palinski-Wade, RD, CDE, LDN, CPT, “America’s Belly Fat Fighter!” is a nationally recognized nutrition and fitness expert and author of the newly released “Belly Fat Diet for Dummies” well as the “Healthy ‘n Fit Pediatric Weight Management Program” and the “Healthy Resolutions Weight Management Program.” She has contributed her expertise to national media outlets such as the CBS Early Show, The Doctors, ABC News, CBS News, News 12, Fox News, Fitness Magazine, Consumer Reports, Chicago Tribune, and Prevention Magazine. She runs a private practice in NJ and frequently serves as a media spokesperson, nutrition consultant, and speaker.