Who doesn’t love to spoon? It not only feels great but also has many health benefits you might not know about. Here are some reasons you should be cuddling tonight!
1. You’ll be happier! Our bodies release the love hormone oxytocin when we cuddle! Research shows that introducing oxytocin into our systems makes it easier for us to recognize positive facial expressions in others, which, in turn, makes us happier.
2. You’ll get fewer colds! The hormones that kick in when we snuggle help improve our moods, and research shows that we’re less likely to catch a cold when our emotions are the kind that make us smile. Studies also found oxytocin helps battle the inflammation associated with heart disease… and may have therapeutic effects on certain types of cancer.
3. You’ll feel good! Cuddling decreases levels of the stress hormone cortisol while boosting the “feel-good” hormones dopamine and serotonin in our brains. These changes slow down heart rate, reduce blood pressure, and have been shown to ease pain from headaches to cramps to body aches.
4. You’ll stress less! When we cuddle, we relax! Skin-to-skin cuddling feels so good because the oxytocin released by healthy physical contact and warm temperatures makes people feel more altruistic and trusting, which lowers anxiety and relieves stress.
5. You may win the battle of the bulge! Oxytocin has also been linked to reduced food intake and increased energy expenditure, which can lead to weight loss.
Now fitting into your skinny jeans, THAT’S a great reason to cuddle.