In honor of National Waffle Day, here are 9 things you should know about waffles!
1. On August 24, 1869 Cornelius Swarthout patented the first waffle iron in the US.
2. The ancient greeks take credit for this breakfast favorite. Originally they were flat cakes that were cooked between hot metal plates.
3. Speaking of hot plates, it wasn’t until the middle ages in Europe that a craftsman made hot plates that had the iconic honeycomb pattern we see on waffles today
4. Did you know our founding father, Thomas Jefferson was credited with bringing the first long-hanged waffle iron to america in 1789?
5. Have you ever wondered how chicken and waffles became so popular?
In the 40s, wells supper club in Harlem was the go to spot for jazz musicians after a gig. But since it was too late for dinner and too early for breakfast, they settled on chicken and waffles, sparking the trend.
6. The first Eggo frozen toaster waffle was sold in us markets in 1953.
7. In 1955 the first waffle house opened up in Georgia. Today there are over 2100 locations and they serve about 145 waffles a minute.
8. The Belgian waffle was first sold at the 1964 New Work World’s Fair with whipped cream and strawberries.
9. But if those toppings ain’t your thing…waffles actually come in fourteen different varieties.